What’s the “CRC”?
It’s the “Curriculum Resource Centre” and contains useful materials to help you with your ‘field placement’ teaching. The CRC is located in the Leddy Library’s West Building on the first floor.
What can I borrow and take with me?
Anything! All CRC materials circulate for either two-weeks (CRC Circulating Book Collection) or seven-days.
CRC Book Collections
- Circulating Books: Primarily a collection of up-to-date books on the theory and practice of teaching. But also includes education relevant books on child psychology, behaviour, etc.
- Reference Books: Mostly books containing subject-related classroom activities and lesson plan ideas
- Government Documents: Consist of a few reports produced by government agencies, mostly Ontario (i.e., Ministry of Education’s “Ontario Curriculum” guides)
- Juvenile Books: Holds a small, but select, collection that ranges from traditional classics (Anne of Green Gables) to contemporary (Harry Potter). It also selectively includes titles in French and other languages.
- Picture Books: Holds many favourites: “Richard Scarry”, “Dr. Seuss”, “Robert Munsch”, and many more. Most award winning books are represented and a few in other languages (e.g., French and Spanish).
CRC Media Room Collections
(entrance between CRC Book Rows 5 & 6)
- Big Books: A small, but growing, collection of story books intended for pre-school and kindergarten
- Mounted Pictures (Cabinet 3): Contains great visual images of lots of topics, but the main theme is ‘nature’: animals, plants, insects, etc.
- Posters (Cabinets 1 & 2): Another useful collection of large, colourful print images covering many popular classroom topics such as language arts, human body, health, ancient world, etc.
- Kits: games, hand puppets, manipulatives, etc.
- Videos and DVDs: A collection of educational resources such as TVO, National Geographic, National Film Board of Canada, CBC, TLC and many other organizations
- CDs: coverage mostly music and narrative on various topics.