There are many resources available for finding information about research funding and to guide you through the grant-writing process. Below is a selection of resources that can be found at the Leddy Library.
For a more exhaustive list of resources and funding agencies, as well as support and advice throughout the entire research grant process, visit the Office of Research and Innovation Services.
These resources can help with any initial or additional research needs you may have as you prepare your grant.
- Office of Research and Innovation Services: An exhaustive list of major funding resources as well as support throughout the grant process at the University of Windsor.
- Leddy Library's catalogue: Additional resources can be found searching the catalogue. We suggest beginning with subject searches such as proposal writing or grants.
- E-books: Access to the Leddy Library's e-book collections.
- Journal Articles and Research Tools: Subject-specific resources and guides available through Leddy Library.
- Government Information: Links to a wide range of government websites at all levels in Canada and some international government sites.
- Theses and Dissertations: Access to online Master's theses and PhD dissertations.
- Newspapers: Access to newspaper databases.
- Subject librarians: Contact info for subject-specific librarians.
- Writing Support Desk: Located on the first floor of Leddy.
- Academic Data Centre: Access to and help with statistical and geospatial data. Located on the first floor of Leddy.
- Scholarship at UWindsor: Examples of completed research and theses.
- University Archives: Access to archival materials and rare books and special collections.
- Campus copyright information
Available through Leddy Library:
- Annual register of grant support (LB2338 .G71 2009, West Building)
- Canadian fund raising directory 2010 (temp storage - no call number)
- Canadian subsidy directory 2013 (CD-ROM non-circulating - HD3646 .C2 C29 CD-ROM 2013 AND the print directory - HD3646 .C2 C29 2013 - Reference Collection, Main Building)
- Guide to Canadian arts grants (Leddy Reference Collection - temp storage, basement of the West Building - NX705.5 C2G75 2010)
- Guide to Canadian health/medical grants (CD-ROM - Leddy Reference Collection - temp storage, basement of the West Building - RA440.87 .C2 G853 2003 CD-ROM)
- The grants register (LB2338 .G73 2010, West Building)
- Guide to Canadian grants & assistance programs from government & private sources (HD3646 .C2 G86 2010, West Building)
- Canadian Law Foundations
- Law Foundation of Ontario
- Foundation for Legal Research
- The Osgoode Society for Canadian Legal History
Obtaining grants and developing proposals:
Available through Leddy Library:
- The art of funding and implementing ideas a guide to proposal development and project management by Arnold R. Shore and John M. Carfora (e-book, 2010)
- Developing effective research proposals by Keith Punch (H62 .P86 2006, Main Building)
- Developing successful grants : how to turn your ideas into reality by Mike DuBose, Anne Black, and Martha Davis (HG177.5 .U6 D817 2005, Main Building)
- Guide to knowledge translation planning at CIHR : integrated and end-of-grant approaches (Q180 .C2 G85 2012, Main Building)
- The "how to" grants manual : successful grantseeking techniques for obtaining public and private grants by David G. Bauer (HG177 .B38 2007, Main Building)T
- Promoting research excellence new approaches to funding (e-book, 2014)
- Proposals that work : a guide for planning dissertations and grant proposals by Lawrence F. Locke, Waneen Wyrick Spirduso, and Stephen J. Silverman (Q180.55 .P7 L63 2000, Main Building)
Writing Grant Proposals:
- Grant application writer's handbook by Liane Reif-Lehrer (R853 .P75 R44 2005, Main Building)
- Proposal writing : effective grantsmanship by Soraya M. Coley (Soraya Moore) and Cynthia A. Scheinberg (HV41 .C548 2013, Main Building)
- Writing grants : step by step by Mim Carlson and Tori O'Neal-McElrath (HG177 .C374 2008, Main Building)
- Guide to effective grant writing how to write a successful NIH grant application by Otto O. Yang (e-book, 2012)
- How to write a successful research grant application a guide for social and behavioral scientists by Cheryl Anne Boyce, Willo Prquegnat, and Ellen Stover (e-book, 2011)
- Research design and proposal writing in spatial science by Jay D. Gatrell (e-book, 2012)
- Writing successful science proposals by Andrew J. Friedland (Q180.55 .P7 F75 2000, Main Building)
- Successful grant writing : strategies for health and human service professionals by Laura N. Gitlin (HV41.2 .G58 2014, Main Building)
- Basic steps in planning nursing research : from question to proposal by Marilynn J. Wood and Janey C. Kerr (RT81.5 .W647 2011, Main Building)
- Grant writing handbook for nurses by Barbara J. Holtzclaw, Carole Kenner, and Marlene Walden (RT73 .K46 2009, Main Building)
There are a variety of platforms that Leddy provides access to but which are not found in the library catalogue. To access these resources, follow the links below to the platform, and then do a title search for the e-book.
- How to write a grant proposal by Cheryl Carter New (2016)
- Funding revolution by Tom Roberts (2005)
- IT project proposals: writing to win by Paul Coombs (2005)
- Designing successful grant proposals by Donald C. Orlich (2002)
- Collaborative grantseeking by Jeremy T. Miner, Lynn E. Miner, and Jerry Griffith (2011)
- The complete book of grant writing (2006)
- Essential principles for fundraising success (2005)
- Grant writing demystified by Mary Ann Payne (2011)
- The only grant-writing book you'll ever need by Ellen Karsh (2009)
- Perfect phrases for writing grant proposals (2007)
- Proposal planning & writing by Jeremy T. Miner (2008)
- Storytelling for grantseekers: a guide to creative nonprofit fundraising by Cheryl Clarke (2009)