1. Click here to download Zotero.
2. Download the appropriate version for Firefox.
3. Sign up for a Zotero account
4. Ensure that you have a Zotero icon in the bottom right corner OR the top right corner of your browser.
Transferring work from RefWorks to Zotero
NOTE: You cannot transfer attachments or separate folders together. You will need to import each folder separately and create a new folder in Zotero.
1. Ensure that all sources in your list are included by selecting "All in list." If you want to ensure your folders are preserved, export each folder seperately.
2. Hover over the References tab in the top left corner.
3. Click "Export."
4. Ensure that "All in List" is selected.
5. Choose an Export Format. "Bibliographic Software" works for moving to Zotero.
6. Click "Export." This will open a new browser window with your references formatted for input in another tool; It may look strange. To save this file, click on the "File" menu in the top left corner of the screen and then click "Save As."
7. Save this as a text (.txt) file somewhere you can easily find it.
8. Open Zotero using the icon in your browser, NOT by logging in from their website.
9. Click on the gear icon.
10. Click "Import."
11. Select the .txt file that you saved.
12. Click "Open."
13. Your sources will appear in the "My Library" section of Zotero.