How to find a play
Plays in the library
Look for the playwright's name or the play's title in the Library's Online Catalogue. If you don't find the play, it may be available in an anthology.
Plays in anthologies
There are a couple of ways to search for plays in anthologies. In each case, you will have to search Library's Online Catalogue to determine whether we have the anthology in which a play was published.
Inter-Play - Portland State University
Inter-Playis an online index to plays in anthologies and periodicals in the collection of Portland State University. Search the playwright's name, the play title, or a combination. Leddy Library will not have everything you find. Nevertheless, this is a great source for discovering where a play has been published.
Play Index - Leddy Library Reference Collection (Z5781.P53)
The Play Index is a nine volume set indexing plays in anthologies and periodicals from 1949-2002. It is possible to search for plays by author, title, or subject.
How to find play reviews
Leddy provides three main sources for reviews of plays.
- CBCA Fulltext Reference: use for reviews published in Canadian sources.
- New York Times Theater Reviews: an index to reviews published in the New York Times.
- TImes Index: an index to the Times of London, including reviews of plays
CBCA Reference & Current Events
CBCA Reference & Current Events is an interdisciplinary index to Canadian publications. To search CBCA for play reviews, use the title of your play in quotation marks and the term review (see example)
New York Times Theater Reviews
The New York Times Theater Reviews reproduces all theatre reviews published in the New York Times. Leddy Library has the New York Times Theater Reviews in the reference collection of the Library (1st floor Main Building). The call number is Ref. PN1581.N4.
The Times Index is a finding tool for articles published in the Times (of London) newspaper.
- The Times Index is in the Leddy Reference Section (1st floor Main Building), call number Ref. AI21.T46
- To find play reviews, look under the heading Theatrical Productions
- Leddy has the Times newspaper, where you will find the review itself, on microfilm in the Media Centre: call number AN.T46