ENCYCLOPEDIAS AND DICTIONARIES
Useful for finding subject-specific definitions and for familiarizing yourself with new subjects
- Glossary of Geology (5th Edition)
Publisher: American Geological Institute
A glossary of almost 40,000 common geological terms
Full text available online.
- A Dictionary of Earth Sciences
Allaby, Michael; Allaby, M.
Oxford University Press
Oxford University Press’ dictionary of terminology related Earth Science and related fields.
Full text available online
- GIS Dictionary (ESRI)
An online dictionary of terms related to the areas of ESRI technology and GIS operations and cartography
- WEBLEX Canada Lexicon of Canadian Geological Names on-line
A web-based database of over 16,000 published geological names used in Canada.
GEOLOGY REFERENCE SOURCES
Useful sources for reference purposes
- Earth Sciences Maps- Natural Resources Canada
A collection of maps related to specific keywords and topics within the Earth Sciences.
- Earth Science Data- Natural Resources Canada
A collection of Earth Science-related data, categorized by keywords
- Geology Ontario
A search tool incorporating five databases: the Assessment File Research Image (AFRI) database, the Abandoned Mines Information System (AMIS) database, the Ontario Drill Hole database (ODHD), the Mineral Deposit Inventory (MDI) database and the Ontario Geological Survey Publications (PUB) database.
- Geological Time Scale
A web-based, graphic resource outlining the system of chronology used by the earth sciences to describe the passage of time and relationships between events in geological history
Systematic investigations of the geology of particular area; useful for creating a geological maps or models
- Alberta Geological Survey
Information concerning geology of Alberta… responsible for describing the geology and resources in the province and provides information and knowledge to help resolve land use, environmental, public health, and safety issues related to geosciences.
- The British Colombia Geological Survey: “The ministry branch responsible for producing and housing the public geological and geoscientific information about mineral resources and mineral potential in the province. Staffed by professional geoscientists who carry out the systematic inventory and assessment of the varied and complex geology of British Columbia”
- The Canada-Nunavut Geoscience Office “…a partnership between the Government of Nunavut (GN), Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) and Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC)… expertise in Precambrian, Paleozoic and Quaternary geology, GIS and cartography and online data dissemination. The mandate of the office is to provide Nunavut with accessible geoscience information and expertise to support: 1) responsible resource exploration and development, 2) responsible infrastructure development, 3) geoscience capacity building, 4) geoscience education and training and 5) geoscience awareness and outreach. CNGO publications and data can be downloaded from this site. Results from CNGO work are published annually in its Summary of Activities volume and released in a range of other publication series”.
- Geology- Natural Resources Canada :
Natural Resources Canada’s collection of resources on the subject of Geology.
- Manitoba Geoscience: Manitoba’s resources on the subject of Geoscience
ATLASES and GAZETTEERS
Useful for locating a place or settlement
- The National Atlas of Canada
A web-based, innovative Atlas of Canada, featuring a “dynamic collection of interactive maps, graphics, images and multi-media resources”.
- US Board on Geographic Names
Place names for US and Antarctica, used to maintain uniform geographic name usage throughout the federal government.
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Google Earth
A web-based application which allows users to explore a virtual, three-dimensional map of the earth, which can be zoomed in or out in great detail.
- Google Maps
An online mapping service which provides satellite imagery of the earth, and users can explore these by inputting specific locations. Includes street maps and panoramic images of street views and directions for travel, whether by foot, car, bicycle or public transportation.
REVIEW ARTICLES FOR EARTH SCIENCE
- Annual Review of Materials Science
“Original critical reviews of the significant primary literature and current developments in materials science”
- Earth-Science Reviews
“Provides information for instructors, students, research scientists, and government agencies involved in program support management and in environmental assessment and control, private industries concerned with planetary resources, and the independent consultant.”
- Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences
“Original critical reviews of the significant primary literature and current developments in the earth and planetary sciences”
- Annual Review of Energy and the Environment
“Original critical reviews of the significant primary literature and current developments in energy and the environment”.
- Progress in Physical Geography
“An international forum for geographical work in the natural and environmental sciences, reviewing current research and theoretical developments”.
HOW TO CITE MAPS AND ATLASES
Useful information for properly citing maps and Atlases in Earth Science
- How Do I Cite Maps and Atlases?
A guide to citing various types of maps and atlases from McMaster University
- Examples of citations of maps and atlases from the university of Ottawa.
- ACMLA Recommended Best Practices in Citation of Cartographic Materials
A resource outlining best practices when citing Atlases and Maps
- Maps and Atlases: Citing Maps
A guide to citing maps and atlases in many differing formats and styles from NC State University.